The City of Montrose, in partnership with Montrose County, has planned a waste collection event to give Montrose area residents an opportunity to safely dispose of hazardous chemicals used in many household products.
Batteries, aerosols, fertilizer, paint supplies, fluorescent light bulbs, and liquid fuels and chemicals will be collected during the 2023 Household Hazardous Waste Event scheduled for Saturday, Aug. 26, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the City Public Works Shop located at 1221 64.50 Road.
Earlier this spring the city and county agreed to contribute funds to safely dispose of all hazardous materials collected during the event.
Volumes and quantities are limited to a maximum of 20 gallons of liquid waste material, 50 pounds of dry, granular palletized, or powder waste material, and 20 aerosol cans per customer.
• Batteries (Wet/Dry Cell) Lithium, nickel-cadmium (NiCd), and nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) — $4 each.
Large rechargeables (gel cells) — $3 each. Alkaline — $2 each. Lead-acid batteries — No Charge
• Light bulbs (fluorescent and ballasts) Fluorescent bulbs (8 feet, 4 feet, and shorter) up to 10 — FREE. Over 10, $1 each. Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs) — FREE
• Liquid Fuels (automotive fluids, degreasers, mineral spirits, gasoline, kerosene) — $1 per gallon or $0.50 for smaller containers.
• Liquid Chemicals (acids, adhesives, bleach, caustic cleaners, oxidizers, solvents) — $2 per gallon or $.50 for smaller containers.
• Fertilizer (granular) Containers weighing five pounds or less — $1 Containers weighing five pounds or more — $2.
• Fertilizers (liquid) Containers per gallon — $2 Containers less than one gallon — $1.
• Herbicides, Pesticides, Poisons, Insecticides (liquids, must be in sealable containers) — $2 per gallon or $1 for smaller containers.
• Paint (oil & latex based, primers, artist) — No charge. Paint Supplies (cleaner, thinner, varnish, turpentine) — $1 per gallon or $.50 for smaller containers
• Aerosols and spray paint — $1 each.
• Fire Extinguishers — $5 each
• Solid grease, waxes, oils, chemicals, cleaners — FREE
• Stains, polyurethanes — FREE
• Stucco, plaster, drywall mud, mortar, grout — FREE
•Thermometers (mercury) $1 each
Flammable gas tanks propane, oxygen, mapp — small (1 lb) $2 each, large (20 lb) $5 each (The contents of these products are not classified as household hazardous waste, however due to the methods required to safely dispose of the containers, they are included in this event.)
Volumes and quantities shall be limited to a maximum of twenty (20) gallons of liquid waste material (cumulative), fifty (50) pounds of dry granular, pelletized, or powder waste material (cumulative), and twenty (20) aerosol cans (cumulative) per customer.
The following shall NOT be collected:
• Unidentifiable chemicals and hazardous wastes;
• Non-residential household hazardous wastes;
• Excessive volumes or quantities of residential household hazardous wastes reasonably indicating the material was generated from a commercial or industrial facility;
• Explosive or radioactive material;
• Electronic waste
• Biological/infectious waste
Information in this article comes from a City of Montrose press release.